Observed annually on the last Monday of May, Memorial Day is meant to honor and mourn all military personnel who died while performing their military duties. Often by visiting cemeteries and memorials. Or, in classic American fashion, by attending loud and festive gatherings. Whether it be a grand backyard BBQ, a local parade, or another large event. Being located in Indy, the Something Splendid team plans to celebrate at the well-known Indianapolis 500. Today, we’re here to hook you up with some fun and festive goodies. So that you, or whoever you plan on gifting to, can celebrate in true patriotic style.
But first, here are just a few ways that you can partake in this federal holiday!
- A block party and BBQ - If you are new to a neighborhood or without plans for Memorial Day, make your own. Be sure to invite your nearby neighbors, as they too might be in need of company.
- Shop at a veteran-owned business - Plenty of veterans support their families by owning a local business. Seek out these businesses and make a commitment to shopping there whenever possible.
- Send a letter to active, reserve, and veteran military - Through A Million Thanks, you can directly thank those who have and continue to fight for our country. This is a great activity for both adults and children.
- Fly a flag - A simple but highly respected gesture, fly Old Glory in your front yard. Just be sure to follow proper etiquette and guidelines!
- Donate to a good cause - There are countless organizations that are committed to honoring service members. There is The Memorial Day Flowers Foundation, which places flowers at gravesites. As well as the Children of Fallen Patriots, who provide college scholarships and educational counseling to military children who have lost a parent in the line of duty.
For the Meat Eater
There is one BBQ aficionado in every family! And patriotic holidays that fall during the summertime are a good reason to fire up the grill. Grab the Blue Ribbon Competition-Style BBQ Rib Rub & Sauce for a sweet and smoky flavor. Along with heavy-duty Bear Paws to take any meat from the grill to table ready. These gifts will come in handy once again for the Fourth of July.
For the Drink Sinker
One of the best ways to celebrate our fallen soldiers is by raising a glass in their honor. We carry everything you need to keep a cold drink in hand all day long. Starting with an American Flag Slim Can Cooler for those who prefer to crack one open. And a USA Flag Bottle Opener for those that enjoy a glass. Should you need a gift that’s a little more discreet, a pocket-size American Flag Flask is always a hit.
For the Kick Back & Relaxers
There is nothing wrong with celebrating with some peace and quiet. Even more so with a strong drink or a cigar in hand. Gift a more laid-back friend or family member with a Stainless Steel Cigar Holder and Flask. Or go the classic route, with a Corkcicle Gunmetal Tumbler and Stainless Steel Sphere. Compact and reusable, these goods will be their new go-to drinkware.
For the Veterans Wife
We can’t forget to honor those that lost a loved one in action or who are related to a person that is currently active. They too deserve recognition for their willingness to sacrifice normalcy. Create a beautiful gift basket of home goods and personal ware with a Red, White & Blue theme. Including Foaming Hand Soap, a Kitchen Towel, ‘Merica Socks, and Teleties Hair Ties.
Leave a comment below telling us how you plan to celebrate Memorial Day!
Elyse, Erynn + Allison
Owners, Something Splendid